When you see any lapis cake, I guess everyone will straight forward say
wow nice cake but fattening, time consuming to bake blah blah blah ….
so do I.
I felt lazy whenever the thought of long hours of preparing & baking it, however, for every Chinese New Year, at least I will try to bake one lapis cake (provided time is allowed). I just love the taste of rich, aromatic, moist and not to forget it is highly addictive cake…. just can’t stop at only one slice. :)
Here are “Some good tip and tricks for baking lapis cake shared by Sweet Samsations” that you may check it out before you bake.
Source : Ny Liem's Lapis Legit Coklat with modification
35 Egg yolks
4 Egg white
10 gr Cake Emulsifier/Ovallete
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
350 gr Icing Sugar
600 gr Chilled Salted Butter
2 tbsp Condense milk
50 gr Cake flour
20 gr Corn flour
20 gr Milk powder
30 gr Chocolate powder
1 tbsp Chocolate paste
50 gr butter cream
- Cream butter (600+50 gr) until pale and fluffy. Put aside 50 gr of butter and will be used for Ingredients (D). Add condensed milk to the remaining 600 gr butter, cream or mix well and set aside.
- Beat Ingredients (A) until thick & fluffy. Fold in the creamy 600 gr butter – Ingredients (B) and evenly mix.
- Fold in Ingredients (C) with spatula until the mixture is well incorporated.
- Take 1/3 of the batter (around 750 gr), mix it with Ingredients (D) until incorporated, set aside.
- Place the baking paper on the preheated 9x9 inch tin. Spread thinly approx. 110 gr of yellow batter to the tin and bake the first layer at the centre rack with top-bottom heat at 200C. It should take 5-10 mins until brown.
- Then bake the next layer until the last layer using top heat. Try to bake it each layer not more than 5 mins or else, the cake will turn hard.
- Use back spoon to press lightly to flatten each layer while you mixed the batter in the tray.
- For chocolate layer, I weigh 115 gr each.
- Every three layers of yellow, I add 2 chocolate layers. Continue baking the cake by the layers until the batter uses up.
-When the last layer is finish, cover with aluminium foil, using top bottom heat …. bake the cake again at 180C for about 10 mins.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool before slicing.
I’m submitting this post to:- Aspiring Bakers #27:Through Thick and Thin – Kue Lapis Classics hosted by Sweet Samsations
- Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover