It has been quite sometimes in my baking list, since I saw Happy Flour & Cook.Bake.Love baked this. Finally, I baked this and really glad on the result. Brought this morning to share with my colleagues, and received good reviews from them :) Thanks Baking Mum for sharing this recipe with us.
Not to forget to submit for this month Aspiring Bakers #11:Mid-Autumn Treats (September 2011) hosted by Happy Home Baking.
Source : Baking Mum
360 gr Plain flour
25 gr Custard Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
220 gr Butter (salted)
50 gr Shortening50 gr Icing sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla essence / extract
1/2 tsp Ammonium Bicarbonate (I skipped this)
Walnut for decoration
800 gr Lotus Paste
Some walnut, toasted and chop (optional)
2 Egg Yolks + 1 Tbsp Water
Prepare the skin pastry in advance (prefer one day in advance or few days):
1. Cream sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla and ammonium together until slightly white (slow speed first then change to high speed).2. Gradually add in egg, beat until incorporated.
3. Lastly add in sifted flour, custard powder and baking soda to knead into a dough (don’t mix too long). Leave dough in fridge overnight or for a few days.
1. Preheat oven to 160C
2. Take out dough from the fridge and divide into portions of 20 gr each.
3. Divide fillings about 20 gr each
4. Wrap fillings into dough and decorate with walnut.
5. Apply egg wash and bake for 10 mins. Take it out and leave it out for about 10 mins, then apply egg wash again. Bake for another 15 mins.
Yields : 36-40 pcs