Walnut Mooncake


It has been quite sometimes in my baking list, since I saw Happy Flour & Cook.Bake.Love baked this. Finally, I baked this and really glad on the result. Brought this morning to share with my colleagues, and received good reviews from them :) Thanks Baking Mum for sharing this recipe with us.

Not to forget to submit for this month Aspiring Bakers #11:Mid-Autumn Treats (September 2011) hosted by Happy Home Baking.

Source : Baking Mum

Ingredients:
360 gr Plain flour
25 gr Custard Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda

220 gr Butter (salted)
50 gr Shortening
50 gr Icing sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla essence / extract
1/2 tsp Ammonium Bicarbonate (I skipped this)
1 Egg
Walnut for decoration

Filling:
800 gr Lotus Paste
Some walnut, toasted and chop (optional)

Egg Wash:
2 Egg Yolks + 1 Tbsp Water

Methods:
Prepare the skin pastry in advance (prefer one day in advance or few days):
1. Cream sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla and ammonium together until slightly white (slow speed first then change to high speed).
2. Gradually add in egg, beat until incorporated.
3. Lastly add in sifted flour, custard powder and baking soda to knead into a dough (don’t mix too long). Leave dough in fridge overnight or for a few days.

Mooncake making:
1. Preheat oven to 160C
2. Take out dough from the fridge and divide into portions of 20 gr each.
3. Divide fillings about 20 gr each
4. Wrap fillings into dough and decorate with walnut.
5. Apply egg wash and bake for 10 mins. Take it out and leave it out for about 10 mins, then apply egg wash again. Bake for another 15 mins.

Yields : 36-40 pcs

22 comments:

  1. Missed your post, busy with your work? Wishing you and your family have a joyful Mid-Autumn Festival! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep this recipe and will try only next year, hehehe! 中秋节快乐!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DG, you made moon cake too! I'm too lazy to make my own because my family don't really like to eat. Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also baked this ^_^

    Wishing you and family happy mid-autumn festival ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute little walnut mooncake. Happy Mooncake Festival to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Doris, just in time to say Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to you and family. This looks delicious!
    Eileen@Hundred Eighty Degrees

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look kinda cute too! Happy mooncake festival to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Walnut Mooncake sounds interesting! I bet it was so good.
    Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi Doris, i never try this type of mooncake before - yours look yummy
    thks for sharing
    happy Mid Autumn Festival to u :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Mid Autumn Festival Doris! Love those Walnut moocakes you made. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks very tasty! Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to you and family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for your greetings and sorry that I missed the chances to visit & greet some of you these days.

    Tracy, sure, please help yourself :)

    Happy Flour,
    Thank you, yes ... now I busy with houseworks :) my helper went back for good, so no helper at the moment :(

    Sonia,
    You should try this, I'm sure you & your family will like it :)

    Min,
    Ya ... I'm getting lazy too, only this I made for this one. I recommend you to try this next year, maybe your family will like it, as this is different type of mooncake, which I found it has the right combination of salt & sweet, so not too sweet like other mooncake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neyeeloh,
    I saw it, yours look really good. :)

    ICook4Fun,
    Hehehee thank you. I got extra dough, but lazy to bake extra tray, so ... anyhow made it like pineapple tarts :) to squeeze fitting the tray.

    Eileen, Lena, Edith, Honey Bee, SSB & YummyBakes,
    Thank you for all your nice comments.

    Yummylittlecooks & Alice,
    They are look funny but taste very good. You all should try when the time is allowed :) No regret, easy to make than normal traditional mooncake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I like these too very easy for my lazy style, no need to do all in a day. So cute n tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha .... muimui, you sure will like in making this, it's similar method like making pineapple tarts :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love walnut, when i have time i must try it out, it looks sooooo tasty

    ReplyDelete
  17. These walnut pastries looks super-yummy! With buttery pastries, I think they would taste better than the traditional mooncakes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, if I dont want to use shortening, do I have to replace it with something else? If yes, in what amount? Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally in making cake or cookies, you can substitute shortening with butter/margarine. But for making mooncakes, I'm not too sure whether you can use it. For sure, texture will be slightly different for your mooncakes, if you substitute it.

      Delete