I made these for Drool fundraiser events. The layer cakes consist of pistachio sponge cake, raspberry jelly, custard cream and pistachio butter nuts. The combination is just well blended and very nice.
CAKE - Ingredients:
30 gr Boiling water
15 gr Pistachio Butter Nut **( I used @the_hunters_kitchenette )
10 gr Sugar
2 Egg yolks
25 gr Oil
40 gr Cake four
2 Egg whites
35 gr Sugar
- Place Pistachio butter nut and sugar in bowl, then pour in the boiling water and stir well incorporated.
- Preheat oven 200 degree.
- Hand whisk egg yolks lightly. Add in oil & the butter nut mixture, mix well.
- Fold in cake flour until combined.
- In separated bowl, whisk egg white until foamy, add in 35gr sugar, whisk until stiff (medium peak).
- Pour 1/3 egg white mixture into egg yolk-flour mixture and mixed well, then pour this into the rest of the egg white and mixed well.
- Pour into tray (20x20x2cm) and bake for 10-12 mins.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack
FILLING 1 – RASPBERRY JELLY – Ingredients:
150 gr raspberry puree
50 gr sugar
¾ tsp Gelatin powder
20 ml Boiling water
Preparation raspberry jelly:
- Stir gelatin powder in boiling water and let it dissolve. Set aside.
- Combine raspberry puree and sugar, cook until sugar dissolve. Remove from heat.
- Add in gelatin, stir well. Set aside and let it cool.
FILLING 2 - CUSTARD CREAM– Ingredients:
50 gr Sugar
20 gr Conrnstarch
A pinch of Salt
150 gr Milk
50 gr Butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
Preparation custard cream:
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, salt and corn flour until thick and pale in colour.
- Place the milk in a saucepan and bring to boil.
- Pour small part of milk over the egg mixture, whisking all the time. Then pour the whole mixture back to the milk in a saucepan and whisk over a gentle heat until the mixture becomes thick and boiling. Keep out from heat, keep stirring (to avoid burn on the bottom part). Wait for a few minutes, add in butter and vanilla. Stir until it well incorporated with the cream.
- While cooling, cover it with the plastic clingwrap to avoid the cream turn dry.
FILLING 3 – PISTACHIO BUTTER NUT ** ( I used @the_hunters_kitchenette )
Decoration: Fresh Raspberry , pistachio nuts
ASSEMBLE THE CAKE :
- Divide the cake into 3 parts. Spread raspberry jelly on the each layer. Let it set in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- On the flat surface, place one cake with raspberry jelly layer, spread custard cream, dizzling topping with Pistachio butter nut.
- Continue by adding cake layer, raspberry, custard, pistachio butter nut.
- Finish with cake and raspberry layer.
CAKE SLICING :
- Let the cake set in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before slicing. Cut slices of desired thickness. Serve it with fresh raspberry and pistachio nuts.
If you cannot buy the ready made pistachio nuts, you may option to make your own.
** Homemade Pistachio Butter Nuts :
200 gr Pistachio nuts, toast
1 tsp Castor sugar
½ tsp Salt
- Blend it until 80% smooth, add in sugar and salt, blend it until smooth.
- Ready to use or keep it in tighly sealed container, keep in the fridge after use it.