(updated by 18/07/2011)
Source : Kevin Chai – A Touch of Classic Baking
2 Egg whites
40 gr Caster sugar
1 Egg Yolk
45 gr Plain Flour
- Whisk egg whites and sugar until stiff, stir in egg yolk and fold in shifted flour until blended.
- Spoon batter into piping bag with round nozzle and pipe fingers on the greaseproof paper.
- Bake in preheated oven 160C for 15 mins, turn oven to 100C and continue bake for another 30 mins.
Yield : approx 18 pcs
2 slices 9 inch square chocolate sponge cake (can refer here)
8 sponge fingers or more
Coffee Syrup (mix well):
300 ml Hot water
4 Tbsp Caster sugar
1 Tbsp Coffee paste
3 Tbsp Gelatine powder
3 Tbsp Hot water
250 gr Mascarpone cheese
250 gr Fresh cream (whipped)
250 gr Whipping cream (whipped)
30 ml Kahlua (liqueurs)
Grated chocolate (optional)
- Melt gelatine powder with hot water. Set aside.
- Beat Mascarpone cheese until smooth, then stir gelatine mixture into it, mix well.
- Fold in mixed creams and liqueurs.
- Place a slice of cake in the 9 inch tin, brush with coffee syrup. Pour in 1/3 of cheese cream.
- Dip sponge fingers into coffee syrup, arrange over cream. Sprinkle grated chocolate over fingers.
- Pour in the 1/3 cheese cream. Top with a slice of cake. Brush the remaining syrup over the cake, spread the remaining cheese cream on top. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Remove the chilled cake. Dust with cocoa powder or decorate as desired.
- Slice into squares.