Source : IG @chennies_kitchen
Sweet Pastry Crust : (half-recipe from original)
125 gr Plain flour
60 gr Salted butter / cold margarine (cut in small cube)
10 gr milk powder
38 gr Caster Sugar
2 no Egg yolk
Any kind of beans (to press on the pastry skin) - optional
Method of Handling Dough:
- Shift the flour and milk powder into flat surface, make a hole in the middle, add in butter, mixed using finger tips until the batter like sand. You may also use pastry cutter, mixer or food processor.
- Add in sugar and eggs , mix well until it form a ball (not too long).
- Wrap in with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes or just until firm
- Bring out the sweet pastry crust from the refrigerator, let it be in room temperature before use.
Method of Baking Pastry:
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Press the pastry sheet in between 2 baking paper with the thickness of 3mm with the size of your pan. Cover it to the pastry pan, lightly prick bottom of pastry crust with the tines of a fork (this will prevent the dough from puffing up as it bakes), cover up with the baking paper and use bean to press on the crust.
- Bake the crust for 10 mins or until ¾ cook, take out the paper and red bean. Continue to bake until the surface dry or lightly golden brown (10 minutes) Let it cool and set aside.
Yields : 1 pc 7 inch round pan or 15 mini tarts
Filling – Vla
250 ml Fresh milk
50 gr Sugar
30 gr (1-2 Egg yolks) – beat using fork
25 gr corn flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp Rum
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
10 gr Butter
- Use medium fire, cook milk, sugar, corn flour, plain flour and salt until lukewarm, scoop one Big spoon to egg yolk (mix well), and pour back to the milk batter. Mixing until you get smooth paste, keep stirring, once the batter getting thick, stirring harder and faster. Stir until it bubbling, keep stirring further 1-2 mins and switch-off the fire.
- move the batter to other tray, let it cool, keep stirring ( prevent the batter to have skin) until lukewarm then add Rum, vanilla and butter.
ASSEMBLE the Tart :
1 recipe sweet pastry crust
1 recipe Vla
50 gr Dark Chocolate, melted
Varieties of fruits : strawberry, kiwi, orange, peach (as your preference)
Instant jelly / Apricot glaze (optional)
- Once the pastry skin cool, remove the tart from the fluted sides of the pan.
- Spread with melted chocolate over the bottom and sides of the baked tart shell to prevent the crust from getting soggy.
- Let it cool and harden before you put the vla filling.
- Before serve, place fruit randomly on top of cream or vla. After arranging the fruit, gently brush apricot glaze light coat on the fruit.
- Roll the dough should be done from the middle to the outside. Do not roll in different direction for example from middle to the top and from the top to middle. The dough will be not in good shape.
- Do not pull the sheet of dough when to place the dough into the pie pan. Pie shell will shrink when baked. To make the sheets of dough sticking to the pan, just tap-tap will do