Steamed Meat Paus (Sang Yoke Paus)


When I saw Kimmy’s post, I straight away bookmarked it. Finally, I got chance to try it and  just realised that she also used my all-time favourite Bao skin too (see previous post), which shared by Cheah. Thanks Kimmy, the Paos are very yummy and I hope I can wrap as perfect as yours one day :)

Recipe adapted from Agnes’s book – Let’s Eat (slightly modified) via Cooking Pleasure

Ingredients for filling :
200 gm chicken or pork – coarsely minced (I used chicken meat)
80 gm yam bean or bengkuang
2 shallots – peeled and grated (I omit)
½ inch ginger – skinned and grated
1 stalk spring onions – diced (I omit)
1 tbsp water

Seasoning
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp wine (I omit)
1 tsp each of sugar and sesame oil
½ tsp of salt and msg
¼ tsp pepper
1 Tbsp cornflour

Method:
- Combine all the ingredients and add in the seasoning. Mix well until it becomes a sticky paste and the water well absorbed. Chill in the fridge for 3-4 hours before using.


Source : No-Frills Recipe (half-recipe)

Ingredients for Bao or Paus skin :
(A) Starter Dough:
70 gr Pau flour or Hong Kong flour
1-1/4 tsp Instant yeast
50 ml Lukewarm water

(B) Main Dough:
180 gr Pau flour or Hong Kong flour
65 gm Caster sugar
20 gr Crisco shortening
1 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp Salt 
55 ml water

Method:
A - Starter Dough
- Mix the instant yeast with lukewarm water, stir well.
- Add in 70 gr sifted pau flour, mix well with the yeast mixture. Roughly form into a ball of dough and set aside for 15 mins.

B - Main Dough
- Mix the balance 180 gr sifted pau flour with the baking powder and sugar, stir well.
- Add the starting dough mixture (A). Add in the shortening and water sparingly, knead till dough doesn't stick to the hands.
- Cover dough with a damp cloth and let it rest in a warm place for about 1 hr or till double in size.
- Punch  down dough to expel some air, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a while.
- Divide into 10 pieces equal portion (weigh dough around @ 35 gr each)  and roughly shape into a ball.
- Flatten and roll out the dough into a circle. Place filling in the center, gather the edges and shape into pleated paus or roundballs.
- Place the pau onto a piece of greaseproof paper. Proof it for another 30-45 mins.
- Steam the pau over high heat for about 10 to 12 mins.
- Remove from steamer and serve while hot.

Yields : 10 mini Paus


4 comments:

  1. Hi DG, your paus look good, fluffy and soft. Not to worry, home-made paus of this quality is anytime better than store bought cos' we know what's in the filling and skin. Definitely more hygenic. I don't discard the outer layer of the skin for home-made paus when eating but yes for those store bought or at Dim Sum restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with you Kimmy, love the skin so much, but I don't know this time, the skin very soft, until very hard for me to shape into plated paus. I tried to copycat yours, but failed hahahahahha

      Delete
  2. Hi Doris,

    I remember this pau skin recipe. I have tried it before too and we like them too :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete