Pandan Chiffon Cake II


When I saw “Make it yourself - Pandan Chiffon cake” published by Sunday Times, and it had been a year since I baked pandan chiffon, it’s time for me to try this :). I baked 2 times in different day, because I was curious with top part cracked and the result of the texture of the cake (see pictures below).

Here is the recipe – shared by Chef Judy Koh – Creative Culinaire
Ingredients:
5 pandan leaves, finely chopped
3 Tbs water
48g egg yolk, from about 3 eggs
70g sugar
1/8 tsp salt
20ml corn oil
36ml thick coconut milk
1/4 tsp pandan paste
54g cake flour
120g egg white, from about 3 eggs
1/8 tsp cream of tartar

Method:
- Preheat the oven to 190 C (I baked in 160C).
- Blend the pandan leaves with water to a fine pulp. Wrap the pulp in muslin cloth and squeeze to extract the juice. Discard the pulp and set aside the juice.
- Whisk together the egg yolk, 30g sugar, salt, corn oil, coconut milk, pandan paste and pandan juice until well incorporated.
- Sieve the cake flour into the pandan mixture and continue to whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg white, remaining sugar and cream of tartar until stiff, such that a firm peak forms when the whisk is pulled from the mixture.
- Gently fold the egg white mixture into the cake batter until well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a 23cm tube pan (I used 18cm) and bake for 40 minutes (I baked in 160C for 50-60mins) until the surface is browned.
- Remove the cake from the oven and invert it on a cooling rack. Allow the cake to cool before removing it from the mould by running a palette knife along the circumference of the cake to loosen the sides.

Here are my two pandan chiffons, although I baked both in 180C for 10 mins, then reduced to 160C until baked, but still the top part still cracked :(




Both cakes turned moist & fluffy, however if you notice carefully, the first cake (see above picture) has bigger air pockets and has springy texture. (maybe this because I whisked the egg white until medium peak form)

Therefore, when I made the second cake (see below picture), I purposely whisked the egg white until soft peak form, and here you can see smaller air pockets compared to the first cake and has more spongy texture.

Taste wise ….. both cakes were finished within the same day :).
So, which texture do you prefer? Please share, add and comment.


Something to share, reports from "8 Days" magazine recently stated:
- 446,400 no of pandan chiffon are sold annually by Bengawan Solo, that summed out a total of 37,200 sales monthly or 1200 sales daily.
- according to Health Promotion Board, a standard size of 450g pandan chiffon cake has 1,481 calories, as compared to 744 calories a plate of char kway teow.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Doris,

    Both your chiffon cakes turn out very well. I also cut out this recipe but haven't try it out yet. Since Anncoo and you have a good comment on this chiffon then I must try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, I also tried out this recipe, but felt that something wasn't right - the yolk batter was so watery compared to other recipes i have baked. Regardless, I continued baking and all went well except that when i inverted the cake to cool, the entire cake fell out of the pan after about 10 min! I suspect that i put too much pandan juice. Instead of using 3 tablespoon of water, I put in a bit more, blended it and then measured the 3 tablespoon of juice. I figured 3 tablespoon of water would yield 3 tablespoon of juice, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both cakes look lovely and soft. But I prefer the first one as that is what a real chiffon cake should look like. That's what my Indonesian auntie friend used to do and I used to follow her ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. both look fluffy and airy and yummy, as long as is pandan chiffon cake I wil love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Flour,
    Thanks. Try it out! Yeah ... I'm looking forward to your post :)

    Hi Yuez,
    Good to hear that chiffon turned well too. Thanks for sharing us your experience. Regarding the entire cake fell out when inverted, it happened to me too when I baked my Chocolate Rice Chiffon. Hahaaaha... Lucky, I fast enough to turn it back, or else the top part almost ruined. :)

    Hi Busygran,
    I prefer the first one too. You are very lucky to be able to learn from your Indonesian auntie friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wah.. the difference is really hard to see... or maybe I need glasses.

    My chiffon cracks all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your chiffon cakes look good. Mine also a bit cracked. I baked at 170C for about 35-45 mins, when it starts to crack I reduced the temp to 160C and bake for another 15-20 mins because I usually like to use 5-6 eggs.
    PS- so you're using 18cm for 3 eggs, I'll update it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jess@Bakericious, I think not only both of us love it, seems that most of singaporean love it. Based on the reports, if one bakery shop can sell upto half-million annually, then it must be few millions pandan chiffon sold out annually. :D

    Wendyywy,
    You can click on the picture, then you will get bigger picture :) Actually, the difference is only at the air pockets, the 1st baking got bigger holes compare to the 2nd baking.

    Anncoo,
    Thanks for sharing, suddenly I remember, my best result top part skin is when I baked Black Glutinuous Chiffon. After I checked on the recipe, actually it stated bake @150C. Maybe next time I will take note when I bake chiffon again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both looks good & fluffy!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm....one of my favourite cakes. Chiffon cakes are so light, soft ad delicious. I think I will eat the whole cake if not for my waistline.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Hearty Bakes,
    Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    Hi MaryMoh,
    Same here, if not for my thick waistline, i think i can eat the whole cake too ... :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    This is my first time baking chiffon and i really loved the texture.. except for a lil flaw.. =( I forgot to add in the pandan paste and resulting to a really overpowered coconut milk cake with only a slight hint of pandan.. Not sure if its the coconut milk brand that i used.. So disappointed.. =(
    Is it ok to share which brand of coconut milk u've used for this recipe? TIA!

    Yona=)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Yona,
    Thanks for dropping by. Usually the flavour & colour of only 5 pandan leaves with water is not strong enough for the cake, that's why pandan paste needed in the pandan cake. So, please do not be dissappointed because you felt there is overpowered coconut milk over the cake. I suspect this maybe because you never put the pandan paste.

    You may try to bake it again with pandan paste, I'm sure you will see the differences :) I am using KARA brand for the coconut milk.

    Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have baked this chiffon cake and have linked to you. Thanks for sharing!!! :) I like the texture a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just baked this on Sunday, though my meringue was a little over beaten, but the end result was still fragrant, fluffy n moist, thank u so much for sharing!
    I m thinking of making a 5- egg recipe, just divide everything by 3 n x 5?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace,

      Glad to hear that you successfully baked this and thanks for sharing too. If you are thinking of converting this to 5 eggs recipe, yes .... u just divide by 3 and x 5. but on the liquid portion, please take note sometimes you may reduce the total of liquid portion by 10-15 ml, I afraid too much for this recipe. Or if you never change, and you find the egg yolk batter too watery, you may add a bit flour.
      Happy Baking

      Delete