Every time we have our pizza delivery order, my family usually will never touch the parmesan cheese given. In order not to waste it, I flipped thru my collection of recipes, found this recipe, modified into smaller portion and was quite happy with the end result.
The cake texture is actually not much different to Japanese cotton cheesecake. However, the taste of cheese in this cake is stronger because of sliced cheese compare to cream cheese. And with additional of only 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, it really made a different, it enhance the cheese flavour.
Source : Sedap
50 gr milk
35 gr butter
60 gr sliced cheddar cheese (around 3 pcs, cut into smaller pieces)
35g cake flour
15g corn flour
60 gr egg yolks
¼ tsp salt
75 gr egg whites
40 gr caster sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp parmesan cheese for sprinkle (optional)
- Preheated oven to 160C
- Melt milk, butter and sliced cheese using double-boiler method until thick. Remove it from double-boiler.
- While it still warm, add salt, shifted cake flour and corn flour, mix until well combined.
- While keep stirring, add egg yolks, stir until well combined. Set a side.
- Whisk egg whites, cream of tartar until foamy, add in sugar and continue whisk until soft peak form.
- Take 1/3 of white eggs batter to the cheese mixture, mix well.
- Then partially pour the cheese mixture to the remaining egg whites, mix until well combined.
- Pour into 10x30x4cm pan or 6” pan, wrapped outside with aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake in water bath for 45 minutes or golden brown.
- Remove cake from the oven, and remove the cake from the mould immediately.
- Set aside to cool.