Basic Sweet Bun Dough (Straight Dough Method)
Adapted from Alan Ooi – Bread Magic
330 gr High protein flour / Bread Flour
½ tsp Salt
1 ½ Tbsp Milk powder
60 gr Castor sugar
1 Egg – Grade A
120 ml Water
10 gr Instant yeast
40 gr Butter
- Combine ingredients A together in a mixer (if you are using the mixer) or put on the work surface and make a well in the centre (if you are hand-kneading).
- Give it a slight blend before adding in ingredients B and C.
- Beat using a 'S" hook or use a scrapper to combined the ingredients for approximately 5 minutes to form a dough.
- Add in ingredients D and beat / hand knead for a further 5 minutes until the dough has a smooth surface.
- Check whether the dough is fully developed by stretching a small piece of the dough with your fingers. If the dough can be stretched into a thin layer without tearing, it is ready. But if it does not stretch well, then beat or knead further till it passes the next stretch test.
- Remove dough and leave it in a big bowl, covered with a piece of damp cloth or cling wrap. Leave bowl in a warm place and let the dough to proof for about 30-40 minutes until it doubled in size.
To make a filling bun:
- From the basic sweet bun dough (after proofing), scale dough into
50 gr portions or according to your preference. Flatten dough portions, wrap in some filling.
- Seal edges and place them on a greased baking tray. Cover and proof buns for 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Brush the surface with beaten egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven at 190C for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove and cool on wire rack.