Lapis Egg White
After Lapis Legit that I baked for CNY, I was trying to get rid of the left over egg whites in the freezer. Search thru internet, got quite few recipes on egg whites. But finally I decided to bake another lapis cake, but this time another good choice of healthy lapis cake. As the cake main ingredient is from egg white, the cake texture is a bit dry, not as moist as the original lapis legit. However, it still taste nice and not too sweet.
Recipe from Tabloid Saji ( shared by whattoeat )
270 gr Butter
1,5 tsp Condensed Milk ( I put 2 tbsp )
450 gr Egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp Emulsifier/Ovalette ( I omit it )
180 gr Caster sugar ( I put 150 gr )
115 gr Cake flour ( I used 120 gr )
25 gr Milk Powder ( I used 20 gr )
1/2 tsp chocolate paste ( I used 2 tsp choco powder)
few drops of pandan paste
- Preheat 200C
- Cream butter till creamy and pale in colour. Add in condense milk, mix well.
- Whisk ‘B’ until soft peak, then add ‘A’, whisk until mix well.
- Fold in ‘C’, mix well using spatula.
- Divide into 2 portion, one mixed with choco powder and the other with pandan paste
- Prepare 8" tray, lined at the bottom.
- Bake the first layer with top-bottom heat.
- Then bake the next layer until the last layer using top heat (I switched to 220C for my oven). Try to bake it each layer not more than 5 minutes or else, the cake will turn hard.
- Use back spoon to press lightly to flatten each layer while you mixed the batter into the tray.
- When finish the last layer, cover with aluminium foil, using top bottom heat bake the cake at 180C for about 5-10 mins.
- I divided all the ingredients into 2 times beating (except for ‘A’), means that I whisked the egg white into two times and also for flour mixing. Once the first half recipe batter was used up, then continue beat for the other half recipe. This is because of white egg batter is easily melted, which can cause the cake turn deflate/hard.
- And for ‘A’ (butter & condensed milk), I did at one go, once ready, just divided into two portion
- To get higher cake layers, I suggested use 6 inch square or 24x10x7cm.