These pancakes were our family breakfast this morning. When I first saw Wendy blog about her fluffy pancake, everything looks so simple and easy. I had no worry for making the batter, however when come to frying stage hehehehe …. it’s a bit tricky here ….. but once you can handle the fire ….. sure …. making this pancake is quite easy. (see below picture for my pancake frying adventure ... at least got improvement, right?) I really enjoy the fun of making this. :)
Here are the simple ingredients that I used.
Sponge Pancake adapted from Wendy
2 tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp all purpose flour (I used 1.5 tbsp flour + ½ tbsp cocoa powder)
A bit of butter for frying
Chocolate chips / Almond flakes (optional)
1. Separate the eggs and beat egg whites until frothy and add in sugar and beat until medium stiff peaks (egg whites has a very droopy hook and doesn't slide off the bowl).
2. Put in egg yolks and mix.
3. Sift in flour (just use a coffee strainer) and fold into the eggs.
4. Heat a 9 inch pan on medium and put in 1/2 tsp butter. Swirl it around to coat and pour the excess into batter.
5. Lightly fold the batter to incorporate.
6. Turn heat to medium low (very small fire on outer ring or just use low) and pour in all the batter.
7.Cover with lid and cook until sides look golden, and center of pancake is almost cooked. Sprinkle chocolate chips/almond flakes toppings as desired. Cook for a while.
8. Flip into half or flip onto plate
Actually this is my second time making this, as the first one I cannot submit because I used cutter to trim the side. Now, I am submitting these pancakes to Sponge Pancake Giveaways entry organised by Wendy. We like the pancake, the taste is delicious. The texture is light, spongy and stay soft even already cool down. Thanks Wendy for sharing this.
Other varieties : Chocolate Almond Pancake ... : )