Rainbow Chiffon Cake
I recently bought Kevin Chai’s book ‘Chiffon Cake is done’, with various kind of chiffon recipes in this book. And this Rainbow Chiffon caught my attention for the beautiful colour shades.
I have never thought that making this chiffon cake was quite a challenge for me. Why? The reason was because making one chiffon cake was equivalent to make four chiffon cakes at one time. Dividing the egg batter into 4 portions …. minimum 5 mixing bowls to do the job. Hahahhaha …. :D Not to mention the need to mix individual colour batter for each layer.
At the end of the day, I was quite satisfied with how it turned out. The texture of this cake … moist, soft and fluffy …........and …......
the best part was being able to enjoy 4 flavours in a slice :)
Egg York Batter:
6 Egg yolks
50 gr Sugar
4 tbsp Oil (I used 60gr)
60 ml Milk (I replaced with 18 gr coconut powder + water = 60 gr)
½ tsp vanilla essence (I omitted)
110 gr Self-raising four (I used Cake Flour + ½ tsp Baking Powder)
Few drops yellow colouring
1 tsp Cocoa powder (I add extra few drops chocolate paste)
Few drops pink colouring (I add extra few drops strawberry paste)
Few drops pandan paste
Egg White Foam:
6 Egg whites
¼ tsp Cream of tartar
100 grm sugar (I reduced to 70gr)
- Preheat oven to 170C.
-To make egg yolk batter: Combine egg yolks, sugar, oil, milk and vanilla essence in a mixing bowl. Fold in flour until forms batter.
- Divide batter into 4 portions. Add in difference colour separately, mix until well blended.
- To make egg white foam: Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy, gradually add in sugar, beat at high speed until frothy and stiff peaks form.
- Divide egg white foam into 4 portions. Gently fold into egg yolk batter separately, mix until well blended.
- Pour each of colour batter mixture into ungreased 23cm tube pan by sequence.
- Bake in for 30-40 minutes or until cooked.
- Remove from oven, invert cake onto table until completely cooled.
I am submitting this chiffon cake to Aspiring Bakers #1: Chiffon Cakes (Nov 2010) hosted by Small Small Baker.
Blogger or Non-blogger …. Yup ….. Everyone is welcome.
Please support and join here :)