Macaroni Schotel (Macaroni Cheese)
Here is another yummy food that I had bookmarked the recipe from Everything4sweets, and baked this macaroni Schotel for last week gathering. I scaled down the recipe, because I baked only in small portion.
Macaroni Schotel is actually slightly different from other normal macaroni cheese, as additional ingredients like meat & sausages add in to the recipe. So even you are not macaroni or cheese lover, you will sure like this :)
Original recipe from this site.
125 gr Macaroni elbow, boil up to 3/4 cooked
2 tbsp Butter
½ Big Onion
75 gr Minced meat
2 Sausages, sliced thin
200 gr Fresh milk
100 gr Cheddar chesse, diced in cube ½ x ½ cm
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
Salt, pepper, sugar, nutmeg to taste
- In a pan, fry butter and onion till soft & fragrant.
- Add in mince meat, half cooked, then add sausages, fry until cooked.
- Add nutmeg, salt, sugar and pepper to taste.
- Add fresh milk, stir to mix well, add diced cheese, beaten eggs, stir for a while (not until too dry) and taste again before remove from fire.
- Pour in individual foil or a greased big tray.
- Steam for 10 minutes for small cup or 30 minutes for big tray.
Topping White Sauce:
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Plain flour
100-150 cc Fresh milk
Salt & pepper to taste
100 gr Shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a pan, fry butter & plain flour, keep stirring.
- Gradually add in milk in small amount to dilute the plain flour until creamy.
- Add in salt & pepper to taste, remove from fire.
- Pour in the white sauce on top macaroni schotel.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C using top fire for 10-15 minutes or cheese melt.
- Best served while it hot.
Yields : 11 cup foils
Other pictures :